Sunday, July 17, 2011

Wi-fi

As a gadget geek, I could die if I don't have an internet connection.  So I should have internet wherever I go.

I usually go to an establishments where they offer free wi-fi.  These are usually, coffee shops, restaurants in Ayala malls, inside SM malls (as far as I know) and some Mcdonald's outlet.  I thought that all McDonald's outlet has free wi-fi, then one time we had a study group which need internet connection met up in McDonald's Greenbelt.  I was surprised that they didn't have wi-fi.  Even my friend's salon where I have my hair done has wi-fi. Some establishment will let you connect freely, but mostly they are password protected to be sure that they are giving access to their customers only. In Ayala malls, you can access their wi-fi through Globe, but I don't know how much they cost.

At home, we use PLDT DSL. I bought a wi-fi router so I can go any part of the room to access the internet. Unfortunately, anybody can access the wi-fi because, I still can't configure my wireless printer to access the wi-fi with password.  Sometime the friends of my son and my brother-in-law would park outside our house and surf while in the car.  I tried the Globe lines but I most of the time I couldn't access the internet so I let it go. When we got a new wireless printer, I got to put a password on our wi-fi at home, at last!


USB Stick
PLDT WeRoam
Then there was the USB Stick. I tried all of them.  Unfortunately, the signal here in the south is lousy. It was so slow.  Unless you put it on the roof, the signal would improve a little. But the best of the 4 for me would be Sun Broadband.



What I don't
like about this USB Sticks is that I have to install the driver  for each of the telecom companies.  I have a friend who has a computer sales store in Greenhills and he told me about the Sapido which I can use the USB stick without installing the driver.  The cons of this, that you need an electrical outlet.  If you're in a mall, you can't just sit anywhere.  You have to find an electrical plug and ask permission if you can plug it.

Sapido
The latest offer that the telecom companies are offering now is the Myfi stick. At first, I didn't buy this because it has to be post paid. It has a battery so you just need to turn it on then you can surf away.  It can serve up to 5 gadgets.


Then they are now selling it in prepaid.  All you need is to pay for the unit which cost around P5000.  When it was new, it cost around P7000. I still didn't get one because my IPad has 3g. So what's the use of that.  When I got my IPad2 I got the wifi only. I turned off the wifi on my IPhone because of  the unexpected charges. Then again, my friend who told me about the sapido told me about the same unit which is open line that cost around P5000.  I can use whatever prepaid broadband sim card I want to use. I can even use it when I'm going to the US, because all I need is to buy a prepaid broadband sim.  That was my problem when I was in the US. I couldn't use my IPhone to surf the internet when there is no wi-fi spot.  And it's so hard to find a wi-fi spot there.  I even bought one for my son, so he can turn off the 3g on his phone to prevent unnecessary internet charges.

Personal Wi-fi
Prepaid is now is very easy for me, thanks to VMobile LoadXtreme.  I can load my own broadband anytime I run out of load. I can also sell other prepaid load.  But that will be for another Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment